The Surprising Truth about Coffee and Brain Health
Would you instead give up your phone for a month rather than skip your morning cup of coffee? Coffee is the most popular drink worldwide, with around two billion cups consumed every day. You may wonder about the impact on your health. A recent study confirms that the beverage you love probably poses little risk unless you drink more than 6 cups a day.
That seems to be the point at which coffee may shrink brain volume and increase the risk for stroke and dementia by 53%. The research was conducted by the University of South Australia and is the largest to date.
As long as you consume coffee in moderation, you can probably enjoy the flavour, along with its many impressive health benefits.
Learn more about how to make your coffee habit work for you.
How to Drink Coffee in Moderation
If you need to cut back, try these tips:
- Taper down. Caffeine headaches are real. If you stop abruptly, your blood vessels may suddenly enlarge and put uncomfortable pressure on the nerves surrounding your brain. Slow down gradually instead.
- Shrink your cups. How big is your mug? The industry standard is 6 ounces, so you may be drinking more than you realize.
- Start later. Do you need coffee to wake up in the morning? Consider a glass of water instead. You’ll feel more alert when you’re hydrated, and you can sit down with your coffee when you get to work.
- Change brands. Espresso tastes more intense, but it has less caffeine than regular coffee. That’s because it’s made with Arabica beans rather than robusta. You may also want to try decaf or mix regular and decaffeinated coffee.
- Drink water. Heavy coffee consumption may leave little room in your diet for the water your brain needs. Carry a refillable bottle around with you.
Let’s be grateful that something as delicious as coffee can be part of a healthy lifestyle! Multiple studies have found that it sharpens your focus, boosts your mood, and may even lower your risk for certain cancers. So keep your body and brain in top shape with moderate coffee consumption and other positive habits.
Costa or Starbucks, anyone? Which coffee house is your favourite? Let us know in the comments.