What is The Best Home Exercise Equipment for Strength Training?
Here you will learn how to tone and build your muscles while losing weight with the best strength training exercise equipment for the home. There are also lots of easy workouts to do at home on the Workouts page. If you have any questions please feel free to leave a comment below! 🙂
For weight loss goals you will need to do strength training about 2-3 times a week of either total body exercises or different muscle groups each day. It is good to do a group of exercises with 3-4 sets of 10-15 repetitions. This is called a circuit. Doing 3 rounds of 10 squats, 10 push ups, and 10 sit ups would be a total body work out since you worked your lower body, upper body, and abs. Of course you would want the workout to last at least 30min – 1 hour.
Strength and Performance
For improving strength and performance you will need to do strength training about 3-4 times a week of either total body every other day (which is what I do), or do a different muscle group each day. Below are how I usually separate the muscle groups.
Day 1: Chest and Triceps
Day 2: Legs
Day 3: Back and Biceps
Day 4: Shoulders
- Chest Press with Dumbbells or Resistance Band- Lay on your back and push the weight up
- Chest Flys with Dumbbells, or Resistance Band – Lay on your back with the dumbbell, stand with the resistance band. Let your arms go out horizontally, slightly bent, then bring them in to the center of your body
- Push Ups (can be done on knees or on wall also) – Don’t let your back sink.
- Push Ups (can be done on knees or on wall also) – Don’t let your back sink.
- Tricep Extensions (straight arm or bent) with Dumbbell or Resistance Band – Bend at 90 degrees, have elbows bent, then extend out parallel to the floor.
- Skull Crushers with Dumbbell or Resistance Band – Standing with arms bent behind your head, then extend straight up.
- Dips – Stand in front of a chair or table, put your hands on the surface behind you, then bend your elbows back and lower your body down. Then push it back up.
- Dead-lifts (with both legs or single leg) with Dumbbells – Hang weights in front of your body, bend down at the hips with your back straight, slightly bend the knee, then stand back up.
- Leg Curls on Stability Ball – Lying on floor, put heels on ball, curl heels in without sinking your back.
- Glute Bridges – Lying on floor, lift your butt and hips off the ground
- Squats (weight in the heels) – Squat like you are sitting in a chair and keep your back straight.
- Step Ups – Step up and down on a box or bench
- Leg Extension with Resistance Band – Stand on one leg and bend the other back, with resistance band on the bent leg, pull the leg forward. Then do the other side.
- Lunges – Step forward and lunge at 90 degrees, keeping your back straight. You can also do reverse lunges by stepping back, or side lunges by stepping to the side.
- Lat Pull Down with Resistance Bands – Hook a resistance band on a door frame or around a fence post or something, face the fence/door, bend over to 90 degrees holding the bands with your arms straight, then pull and bring your elbows to your sides, tightening your mid back.
- Lat Pull Up – Do a pull up with your arms out wide.
- Row with Resistance Bands – Hook band on door or pole, stand up straight, pull band straight back and tighten your upper back.
- Bent Row with Dumbbells – Bend at 90 degrees, let weights hand, then pull them up and tighten your upper back.
- Low Back Extension (superman) – Lay on your back and lift your arms and legs up off the ground.
- Push Ups – (can be done on knees or on wall also) – Don’t let your back sink.
- Bicep Curl with Dumbbells or resistance band – Put band under feet while standing or hold dumbbells, then curl them up to your chest.
- Chin Ups – Do a pull up with your palms facing your body.
- Reverse Curl (Palms facing down) with Dumbbells or Resistance band – Stand on band or hold dumbbells, and curl up just like a bicep curl, your hands are just facing the floor.
- Shoulder Raises (Lateral or Frontal) with Dumbbells or Resistance band – Stand on band or just hold dumbbells at your side, the raise laterally to your sides.
- Snow Angels for Rotation – Stand on band or just hold dumbbells at your side, then raise laterally all the way up above your head, like a snow angel.
- Shoulder Press Resistance Band or Dumbbell – Stand on band or just hold dumbbells up by your ears, then press above your head.
Here is the best home exercise equipment for weight loss and performance that I have found. There is exercise equipment for beginners and professionals. If you have any questions on the exercises or how to use this equipment, don’t be afraid to ask by leaving a comment below! 🙂
What is the best home exercise equipment? Well all of this equipment was created for easy workouts to do at home.
All in One
Purchase the Power Plate Vibration Platform – There is nothing better than doing a workout on a vibration plate. You can exercise on it for 15 minutes and it will have all the benefits of doing an hour workout. The vibration contracts and relaxes your muscles almost 50x faster helping you improve strength, flexibility, and overall health. Find out more about Whole Body Vibration Training here!
Buy the PRx Performance – This is a squat rack that you can get with a kipping bar (for pull ups). You can set up this equipment on any wall (usually in a garage), and use it to do power lifting exercises. Such as squats, deadlifts, push press, hanging leg raises, etc. It is perfect for a home gym in your garage or patio, but it should be connected to a wall. After you are done with it, it folds up against the wall so it hardly takes up space.
Purchase the TRX Suspension Trainer Basic Kit + Door Anchor – This is one of the BEST things you can use for home fitness. I love this because all you need is your body weight to do the exercises, and you can use this for a total workout for your entire body. It comes with instructions and a door mount. This is in many gyms and clubs across the country.
Purchase the Tone Fitness 20-Pound Hourglass Shaped Dumbbell Set – These are great dumbbells to start with on your fitness journey. This is small home exercise equipment you can use to do the exercises above.
Buy the Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells – If you have these dumbbells they will be all you need. They have weights from 5-52.5 lbs, and are even easier to adjust. These have a wider range of weights and you won’t have to buy any other weights in the future.
Purchase the Barbell Vinyl Coated Cement Kettlebell – This is a great durable kettle bell, and it comes in different weights. This is also small home exercise equipment you can store easily. You can get a medium size kettlebell for workouts, and if it feels too light you can just do more reps. If it’s too heavy you can just do less reps or push through it and get stronger.
Buy the Yes4All Super Cast Iron Kettlebells – You can get a set of kettlebells in a bundle to save a little money, because you will most likely need more than one size kettle bell for your workouts. You can use kettlebells to replace dumbbells, and you can use them for specific kettlebell workouts (kettlebell swings are a very popular exercise and are a great workout to improve your hip extension and strength).
Purchase the Fit Simplify Resistance Loop Exercise Bands – These can be used for corrective exercise working on the hip flexors, abductors, adductors, glutes, etc. It is a set of 4 types of resistance ranging from light to heavy, and they can aid in physical therapy.
Buy the Black Mountain Products Resistance Band Set – This comes with an outdoor anchor, ankle strap, exercise chart, and carrying case. It can be used for simple exercises, and you have many different levels of resistance. You can stand on them in the middle and do arm exercises, or hook it to an eye level place and pull or push them to work your back, chest, and ab workouts to do at home. This is small home exercise equipment that can be stored anywhere.
Purchase the Exercise Ball (Multiple Sizes) for Fitness, Stability, Balance & Yoga – This is a standard Stability Ball. You can use it for many exercises. Such as sit ups, leg raises, squats against the wall, or just sit on it and do shoulder and chest presses to engage the core. The range of exercises on this ball are endless. If you need any exercise ideas, please comment below and I would be glad to help!
Buy the SPRI Xerball Medicine Ball – You can use medicine balls for exercises like medicine ball slams, ab exercises, and many other things. All of these balls are small exercise equipment you can use anywhere. You can buy them at different weights and sizes depending on what you can handle.
Purchase the Dynamax Soft-Shell Medicine Ball – This ball can be used the same way that a regular medicine ball can be used, it is just a little softer and can help increase the intensity. I prefer this one over the other one above.
Purchase the Bosu Balance Trainer – With this BoSu ball you can do many balance and strength activities. Such as lunges, squats, balancing on one leg, doing push ups on it to improve balance, and you can also flip it over and balance on the other side for more of a challenge. If you want to improve your balance then this is the best thing for you to buy.
Buy the Step360 Pro – You can use this instead of the BoSu Ball above if your balance needs a little more work. This one is more stable, but you can do all of the same exercises on it as you can on the BoSu Ball.
Purchase the Perfect Basic Pushup – You can do push-ups on these and twist your wrists while you do it. It can help you work more muscles in your arm and wrist, and it makes the workout more intense. Twisting your arms while you press activates more muscles in your forearm and upper arm. This is also good for people who have bad wrists, because it takes pressure off of them since you are not bending them.
Buy the Perfect Fitness Ab Carver Pro – This is an Ab Roller that helps to strengthen your abs. You just roll out and roll back in. It works all of the muscles in your mid section, but DO NOT let your back sink while you do it because it can injure your spine.
Purchase the AbleFitness Heavy Duty Pull up Bar – You can mount this to any door frame to do body weight pull-ups, leg lifts for your abs, hanging stretch, etc. There is a 330 Lb Weight Limit.
Buy the Titan 60″ Barbell – This bar can be used to do things like squats and lunges without having to hold a dumbbell in each had. You can also add weight plates to it to increase the intensity.
Purchase the Black Bumper Plates Pair of 10 / 15 / 25 / 45 Lbs – You can buy these plates to put on the bar above to get stronger. They are mostly used for powerlifting, but you can use them on the bar when doing squats, lunges, bent rows, etc.
Buy the Titan Fitness Battle Rope – This is a large rope you can use in your garage or in a workout room in your home. Just hook it around a sturdy pole or wall mount, and you can do a total body workout with it. Grab the rope and make waves with it up and down, do one arm at a time, both arms together, or make side to side waves. Believe me when I say, it will wear you out!
Purchase the Marcy Utility Flat Bench – This is a basic bench that can be used to sit or lay on while doing exercises. Such as bench press, chest fly, or just lean on it while you do bent rows, the possibilities are endless.
Buy the Weider Pro Slant Board/Ab Bench – This bench can incline and decline to do exercises like incline chest press, decline sit ups, etc. It can be used the same as the one above, but this one moves up and down.
Buy the Original Health Club Step – This step box can be used to do exercises like step ups, box jumps, tricep dips, sit squats, and many more. Click here for additional risers to add below it to make it taller.
Purchase the Power Systems Adjustable Step-Up Box – This can be used just like the ones above, but this one can be adjusted without having to add risers or switching boxes. It is also very easy to move by picking it up on the side and rolling it.